Employment Here and Now!
The Employment Here and Now! program matches eligible people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to unpaid internships at Temple University Hospital and Temple's University Main Campus in Philadelphia with a goal of achieving long-term, part-time employment.
Funded through the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, the Employment Here and Now! Program recruits and interviews candidates who meet the following eligibility standards:
- Age 18-26;
- Pennsylvania resident;
- OVR eligible customer: Have a significant disability, which creates a barrier to employment, want to work and be able to benefit from vocational rehabilitation services;
- Be available and willing to 20 hours per week;
- Have reliable transportation to program and work trial sites or be willing to access public transportation (and participate in travel training as needed);
- Pass drug screening (mandatory test for Temple University, expense is included in the cost of the program);
- Have current immunizations as required by Temple University Human Resources.
Once accepted, the Employment Here and Now! participants receive a job assessment, where a qualified professional meets with them and gets to know their interests, skills, and preferences regarding employment.
Based on their skills and interests, participants select an unpaid, three-month-long internship position at Temple Hospital or Temple University Main Campus. During the year, they rotate through a total of three internships where they hone their skills, and determine which position would best fit their professional objectives.
Each participant receives job coach services including: evaluations, skills training, job modification, advocacy and socialization skills, among others. All services are provided on an individual basis and are tailored to the individual's needs to achieve a specific vocational goal.
If at the end of the three internship rotation, a long-term position is not offered, the Employment Here and Now! program, in collaboration with the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation and other team members, will make a referral to another supported employment agency.
Applications are being accepted now through August 2016 (period has been extended). Only applicants who meet all of the eligibility requirements will be considered.
Successful applicants will be notified by October 1 and assessments will begin by soon thereafter.
Contact Us to Apply
Email: eHereNow@temple.edu, Tel: 215-204-3861
Funded by Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry.